Results from the First Trial
You can see a PowerPoint presentation detailing some of our preliminary
results by clicking here.
For those without PowerPoint, or for those not wishing to download the
entire presentation, here is a brief summary:
- Number of responses: 68
- Common tasks (151 provided total):
- Configuration: 56%
- Upgrades/patches: 12%
- Tool development: 1%
- Repairs: 15%
- Backup and restore: 3%
- Monitoring and testing: 10%
- User education: <1%
- Other: 3%
- Challenging tasks (68 provided total):
- Filter installation: 37%
- Tool development: 6%
- Configuration: 13%
- Platform change/upgrade: 26%
- Architecture changes: 7%
- User education: 4%
- Other: 6%
- The acceptable unscheduled downtime during regular hours was less
than an hour in most responses.
- The percentage of users affected before immediate action is required
was 1-5% in most responses.
- Most responses had fewer than 5 unique problems.
- The diagnosis vs. repair time tends toward more time spent diagnosing
in most responses.
- Trends in the comments:
- High user expectations, especially as e-mail is often a critical
- Spam is a tremendous headache, and the same is true for viruses and
- New technologies are useful, but more are needed.